C *A *P *C *H
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C *A *P *C *H

Home of the Click Chicks and Joe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion

Go down 
+4
amainachen
Susan
coocooitstrue
abasketclayse
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

Number of posts : 20381
Registration date : 2007-01-26

So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Not directed at any one poster....but I could just see things getting off track!!!!!! zp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 pm

I agree basket...I want to learn and read as much as I can about all the candidates...but when any bashing or arguing starts it turns me off and I just stop reading and adding my views....I LOVE people to share their views...just not when its done forcefully or when it becomes a slam fest against one person to make another look better....

I hope this thread stays peaceful...its a good way to get positive attention to your candidate......I am still undecided 100% though I said I am heading towards Obama...I still would love to hear peoples opinions and thoughts on Mccain....I guess what I am saying is I havent decided who to vote for yet..so...tell me...why should I choose either one...for the positive reasons ??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 3:50 am

paminhlwd wrote:
So many people hate Bush I think they would vote for the devil himself if he was on the democratic ticket. Obama sounds intelligent, is eloquent, but really what has this man done so far, but make speeches, that makes him qualified to be president. Democrats, fill me in I'm listening.

Pam, Bush isn't running this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 4:48 am

amainachen wrote:
jojoincal wrote:
Most of you have a much sunnier view of Sarah Palin than do I. In no way does she have the skills to be a heartbeat away from taking over the Presidency. She may have done OK as mayor of a very small town in Alaska and as governor of a state that may be geographically large but with their entire population of about 700,000, it is smaller than a city down the highway from me - San Jose, California, which has 974,000. The problems worldwide that the next President must deal with are way too complicated for her, based not just on this debate but on her recent interviews as well.

In the debate last night, Sarah spoke in generalities most of the time. When she was given a question that she "didn't feel like" answering, she diverted to talking yet again about the oil in Alaska - something she brags about over and over because that's one of the 'talking points' she's comfortable with. Even when she was asked again to answer the question, she gave a 'cutesy' response and still wouldn't answer.

It is very interesting how most of the analyists thought it was a good thing that Joe Biden held his tongue and didn't snark back at Sarah Palin when she was throwing jabs and accusations his way. Is this what equal rights for women has evolved into? The woman can say any darn thing she wants, but the man must not do likewise or it will be held against him? Actually, I am thankful that Joe did keep his cool and not react to her less than truthful statements about him and Barack. Joe Biden was very smart to focus his attention on John McCain rather than Sarah Palin.

We evidently do have a great difference. I see a person who will make a great vice president, sure needs some experience but if we are going to be fair we have a man with as much or little (depending on your views) experience who is running for President, who if wins will be our leader. That scares me more. JMO I do believe Clinton had as little or as much experience as Palin. He was govenor of a much smaller state but according to most of the democrats he did fantastic. I just don't get the difference. Reagan was govenor and gasp an actor and he was the greatest President imo we ever had. so i believe as a govenor of Alaska she holds her own with experience to be vice president when clinton and Reagen were President's and were just govenors. i feel secure in her knowledge and her ability to grasp foreign, economic, social issues. If they win (which is doubtful at this time) she would be great.

I respect your opinions, but just have to make note of a couple of comments that are not opinions, but rather facts. Not saying, of course, that these things change your opinions in any way, but I notice Heather is gathering info to make her decision so the difference between fact and opinion is important...since facts are what we often use to form opinions.

Clinton did not have "as little or as much experience as Palin". He was not the Governor of a much smaller state. He governed a much larger state of nearly 3,000,000 as opposed to Palin governing a state of nearly 700,000. Palin was governor for eighteen months when tapped for the campaign. Clinton was (I believe) the longest sitting governor at that time. He was elected to five terms of office. Before that he had been elected Attorney General for the state. We could compare Sarah's education to Bill's, (she attended five different colleges in obtaining a bachelors degree,
Bill graduated Georgetown University, was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and received his law degree from Yale University before teaching law at the University of Arkansas) but I don't believe that one cannot rise above their education. Many in our history have done much more with far less formal eduaction. I believe that many have also been educated beyond their capacity to learn, so I will let Sarah's words speak for what she knows.

Last edited by ClaysFayevorite on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:48 pm

To paraphrase Edward Abbey:

There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is Sarah Palin.

I saw nothing in the VP debate to change my mind about who I will vote for. Nor was I impressed with her knowledge or the way she answered and non-answered questions. She is running for VP, not secretary of the PTA.

Looking forward to Tuesday's Presidential debate. Just as all Palin had to do was not seriously f'up and have a total meltdown on tv, it would appear so long as Obama does likewise, there will be little change in how he and McCain are perceived.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 3:25 pm

paminhlwd wrote:
Sorry didn't mean to bask anyone I just get so emotional about how the media has been treating Palin and never say anything negative about Obama. I am just asking for fair and balanced reporting and I don't see that.

Pam, I think it has been a very, very long time since we have seen "fair and ballanced" reporting". Back in the day, a real journalist reported the facts...there was an Editoral Page for expressing opinions. Seems like now, journalism is just one editorial after another. I think it is a sad commentary on the integrity of journalism in this country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 7:10 pm

Isn't it crazy that almost 70 million people watched this debate.

I think it's absolutely wonderful, no matter who you are rooting for, that so many people are interested in this process. And no matter what people say about Sarah, she has more than peeked the interest people have in this election.
Back to top Go down
Morgan Rowan
Admin
Morgan Rowan

Number of posts : 16603
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 8:18 pm

True dat - people tune in to see Palin - which of course was why she was picked to counter Obama's ' celebrity ' status.

but I'm afraid , for me, watching her is a bit like watching car racing - the excitement is in the near misses and you hold your breath waiting for the crash. In the meantime its kind of around and around the same old block.
Back to top Go down
https://clickchicks.niceboard.com

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 pm

My prayer on the Morning of November 4th before I vote is that we will elect the candidate who is best for our country, whomever that may be, even if it's not the same person I think it should be.
Back to top Go down
coocooitstrue

coocooitstrue

Number of posts : 2211
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 8:59 pm

I ht you, Ex. beautifully said. and i'm with you on prayers for the best qualified candidate to win this November. God Bless [and protect]America!
Back to top Go down
joechgo11

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:04 am

I was completely impressed with Sarah Palin and SO PROUD.

There is absolutely NO DENYING that Biden is a masterful debater, and if we were judging this debate based on traditional debate competition rules, Biden would win. Hands down. Better knowledge of issues, more professional presentation.

But, thank God, we're NOT judging this debate by those rules. I feel this debate will be judged on how well the candidate delivered his or her message to THE PEOPLE, those who don't give a rat's ass about debate rules.

Sarah separated herself from every other candidate. She showed that she truly is just one of us. How many times have we thought, "Shoot! I could do a better job running this country than SO and SO!" Now, many of us can vicariously do just that. Sarah is ME running for office. I wouldn't give a damn about someone spouting questionable numbers. I'd say, "Cut the crap. This is my truth. Tell me yours." Seeing Sarah call Biden on his Washington speak had me cheering from my chair!

Best quote of the night: Palin. "Your plan is a white flag of surrender!" Ain't it the truth???

Joe Biden proved one important thing to me, though. I would much rather HE be at the top of the ticket than Obama. The more I learn, with all due respect, the less I trust that man! I thought Joe Biden, in addition to being knowledgeable across the board, was a true gentleman. I think the two of them really enjoyed that debate!

I have complete confidence in John McCain's integrity and earnest desire to serve his country. I have complete confidence that Sarah Palin couldn't care less about the Washington rules; rather, she has a complete devotion to serving the American People.

THAT is why I am completely and very vocally supporting McCain Palin 2008!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 7:13 am

Well said Renee, I'm with you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 9:32 am

I wish she would appear on the talk shows this morning. I can't understand how this strategy can work for her.She has the same opportunity as any of the candidates to be heard every Sunday morning. This is such a different approach for a candidate...not getting out there to have their message heard.
As a candidate, I would not think you would want SNL to be the last word each week. They are funny and thrive on poking fun at all the candidates during this season, but I would like to see more of "her" rather than the SNL caricature of her. Many people seem to have liked what they saw at the debate...why not roll with that momentum? Seems like she did the same thing after the convention. She had the convention on their feet, over the moon in love with her and than she did not follow it up making the rounds on TV, putting her face and her message out there. I think McCain could really benefit from her out there this week after the latest poll repots . It is puzzling.
Back to top Go down
Morgan Rowan
Admin
Morgan Rowan

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 am

I might say it but honestly I don't want ' just one of us ' running the country. Its a refreshing approach but sorry no. . . its dangerous. I want a strong, powerful, experienced person running the country. No fresh faces for me.

Problem to me is they kind of alll seem like just one of us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 10:52 am

Quote :
I might say it but honestly I don't want ' just one of us ' running the country.

I gotta agree with you there, Morgan. I want someone trained and experienced to run this country. Someone who knows diplomacy, foreign affairs, brinkmanship, economics, energy issues, social issues, medical and ethical issues, who understands and supports the constitution, understands judicial issues, environmental issues, transportation and shipping issues, international relations and economics.

I don't want someone like me. I want someone smarter than me. Someone with more experience than me. Some more diplomatic than me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 11:25 am

spongie wrote:
Quote :
I might say it but honestly I don't want ' just one of us ' running the country.

I gotta agree with you there, Morgan. I want someone trained and experienced to run this country. Someone who knows diplomacy, foreign affairs, brinkmanship, economics, energy issues, social issues, medical and ethical issues, who understands and supports the constitution, understands judicial issues, environmental issues, transportation and shipping issues, international relations and economics.

I don't want someone like me. I want someone smarter than me. Someone with more experience than me. Some more diplomatic than me.

I agree with both of you ...
Back to top Go down
Morgan Rowan
Admin
Morgan Rowan

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 1:13 pm

more diplomatic than heder

cof

and omg you guys agree with me

cof

thud
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:45 pm

When John McCain was at the point where he had to choose a running mate, he was already up against a powerful Obama machine. He went looking for (1) someone who could infuse some personality into his campaign and (2) someone relatively unknown who could not be tied to the decisions of George Bush. He thought he found both of them in Sarah Palin and also hoped she would pull in those who he mis-assumed were Hillary supporters simply because she is a woman.

As he is wont to do, he oversimplified matters and gave his ticket (1) someone whose personality is ingrating to some while to others she is perceived as "one of us" when she is actually more about fluff than substance...even many of her strongest supporters have no idea what she stands for; and (2) a relatively unknown who now espouses the Bush agenda (so they lost on that end too). Although there may have been a small percentage of people who supported Hillary simply because she is female, for the vast majority, that is not the case as their support for HC was based on her positions on the issues....so he was wrong there too.

Joe Biden, on the other hand, is someone I could have supported if he, rather than Barack, was the Dem nominee. Aside from their minor differences in the methods to utilize for change, they see eye to eye on the issues that are important to me.....health care, education, foreign policy, the economy. Taxes is not a major issue for me....it's gonna be what its going to be. But I do dislike the way the Republican campaign has presented this issue in the media.

Luckily, we all get just one vote. Search the issues and what's important to YOU and vote accordingly.....that's all any of us can do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:09 pm

We are in a war. There is saber rattling about another war. We have just passed a $700 billion bailout. We are on the brink of a nationwide, possible worldwide, depression, and the gross National debt stands at over $10 trillion dollars. Which this in mind Palin trotting out the party line of "tax cuts" hit a nerve. We have to be responsible, and you can't run a war, bail out banking institutions, lower the national debt and stave off a depression by tauting the same old same old party line.

I am not in any way getting the feeling that Palin understands to unprecedented situation we as a nation will have to face in the next four months, let alone the next four years.

Last edited by spongie on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:12 pm

spongie wrote:
We are in a war. There is saber rattling about another war. We have just passed a $700 billion bailout. We are on the brink of a nationwide, possible worldwide, depression, and the gross National debt stands at over $10 trillion dollars. Which this in mind Palin troting out the party one of "tax cuts" hit a nerve. We have to be responsible, and you can't run a war, bail out banking institutions, lower the national dept and stave off a depression by tauting the same old same old party line.

I am not in any way getting the feeling that Palin understands to unpresidented situation we as a nation will have to face in the next four months, let alone the next four years.

I agree spongie! BTW, here is last night's SNL skit of the debate.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/vp-debate-open-palin-biden/727421/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Im diplomatic....whatever it means if it means im cool LOL

just kidding and yea I agree with you and spongie both...Im trying so hard to learn as much as I can so when I vote I vote for the person who has inspired hope in me that they will take care of us...and not do the same things that Bush did...not here to hate on him but...I just didnt appreciate some of his choices..

most important to me is that the best person win, the one who will make the difference and make positive changes, whether its Mccain or Obama who wins I surely hope and pray God has his hand in it....seriously Im voting for sure, but most of all Im praying...
Back to top Go down
joechgo11

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Morgan Rowan wrote:
I might say it but honestly I don't want ' just one of us ' running the country. Its a refreshing approach but sorry no. . . its dangerous. I want a strong, powerful, experienced person running the country. No fresh faces for me.

WOW. I couldn't disagree more. You assume that "one of us" wouldn't be strong or powerful, or that his or her life experiences wouldn't measure up to "Washington" experiences. That goes against everything I believe, and if I may say so, everything our founding fathers believed. Our leaders were to be chosen OF THE PEOPLE, not OF THE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE. I want someone in office who represents WHO I AM, not just someone who played the game well enough to get elected, then will turn around and promote his socialist agenda.

And they don't seem like anyone I know or trust!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Renee wrote:
I was completely impressed with Sarah Palin and SO PROUD.

There is absolutely NO DENYING that Biden is a masterful debater, and if we were judging this debate based on traditional debate competition rules, Biden would win. Hands down. Better knowledge of issues, more professional presentation.

But, thank God, we're NOT judging this debate by those rules. I feel this debate will be judged on how well the candidate delivered his or her message to THE PEOPLE, those who don't give a rat's ass about debate rules.

Sarah separated herself from every other candidate. She showed that she truly is just one of us. How many times have we thought, "Shoot! I could do a better job running this country than SO and SO!" Now, many of us can vicariously do just that. Sarah is ME running for office. I wouldn't give a damn about someone spouting questionable numbers. I'd say, "Cut the crap. This is my truth. Tell me yours." Seeing Sarah call Biden on his Washington speak had me cheering from my chair!

Best quote of the night: Palin. "Your plan is a white flag of surrender!" Ain't it the truth???

Joe Biden proved one important thing to me, though. I would much rather HE be at the top of the ticket than Obama. The more I learn, with all due respect, the less I trust that man! I thought Joe Biden, in addition to being knowledgeable across the board, was a true gentleman. I think the two of them really enjoyed that debate!

I have complete confidence in John McCain's integrity and earnest desire to serve his country. I have complete confidence that Sarah Palin couldn't care less about the Washington rules; rather, she has a complete devotion to serving the American People.

THAT is why I am completely and very vocally supporting McCain Palin 2008!

Couldn't agree with you more Renee. Well said!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Renee wrote:
Morgan Rowan wrote:

WOW. I couldn't disagree more. You assume that "one of us" wouldn't be strong or powerful, or that his or her life experiences wouldn't measure up to "Washington" experiences. That goes against everything I believe, and if I may say so, everything our founding fathers believed. Our leaders were to be chosen OF THE PEOPLE, not OF THE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE. I want someone in office who represents WHO I AM, not just someone who played the game well enough to get elected, then will turn around and promote his socialist agenda.

And they don't seem like anyone I know or trust!

With experience comes knowledge. Being the leader of our country requires that kind of knowledge. It's really as simple as that. We are facing serious times for our country and as much as I support Barack Obama, I can admit that John McCain would not be the nominee if he had not devoted his life to public service. Barack has also done the same with much of that being in the private sector where he has also gained experience and knowledge. That knowledge is apparent during the debates and during his speeches. He can answer questions asked. Sarah Palin cannot. There are plenty of nice and likeable people out there, but they (like Sarah Palin) do not have the intelligence, knowledge and yes, experience, to lead the USA.

If she were to be vice president, she would be a spokesperson for our country. And given the current state of affairs with our current administration and public opinion here and abroad, another target for jokes because of their ineptness and inability to grasp the real issues of our country would only add to that.
Back to top Go down
katydid

katydid

Number of posts : 9389
Registration date : 2007-01-27

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:56 pm

The economy falls and unemployment swells. The war continues as other threats continue and new ones emerge.
Who do you want to be there to lead us forward and pull us out of this horrible quagmire?

I don't want my next door neighbor or town official. I want the most educated, intelligent, experienced person there is, who knows where we've been and where we need to go. I don't need someone pulling for me, I need someone pulling for us all.

I have respect for McCain and his service to this country, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he chose her out of all the people he could have picked. I doesn't do much good for him to win, if in the end we would all lose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion   So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So, who watched the political debates? A FRIENDLY discussion
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next