C *A *P *C *H
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C *A *P *C *H

Home of the Click Chicks and Joe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Colin Powell Endorses Obama

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Colin Powell Endorses Obama Empty
PostSubject: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/19/AR2008101900598.html?hpid=topnews

Colin L. Powell yesterday became the most prominent Republican to endorse Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, with the former secretary of state and retired four-star general declaring the senator from Illinois to be a "transformational" figure who would "electrify our country . . . [and] the world."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 am

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

"I think that's inappropriate. I understand what politics is about -- I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far, and I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for," he said.
Back to top Go down
amainachen

amainachen

Number of posts : 2074
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Powell did what he felt was right, I unfortunately believe he is totally wrong. Son and father don't agree either
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/colin-powell-splits-with-son-michael-over-white-house-race-2008-10-20.html
Back to top Go down
joechgo11

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 6:48 pm

CinC wrote:
Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

"I think that's inappropriate. I understand what politics is about -- I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far, and I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for," he said.

Well, all I can say is he's wrong. It all goes back to the level playing field: would you think it was okay if McCain was associated with an abortion clinic bomber? Ayers represents the worst of his generation, and as recently as 2001 he said he wished he would have done MORE (click to view). And this man is a "respected professor"? What is WRONG with people?

Obama IS tied to him. Here's another connection recently uncovered, his own words, in print....

Obama praises Ayers book

It DOES matter. I just wished more people would realize how much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Well, there's G Gordon Liddy. For his role in Watergate, Liddy was convicted of conspiracy, burglary and illegal wiretapping, and received a 20-year sentence. He served a total of five and half years in prison, including over 100 days in solitary confinement, before his sentence was commuted by President Jimmy Carter and he was released on September 7, 1977.

August 26, 1994, Liddy wrote "Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests." ... "They've got a big target on there, ATF. Don't shoot at that, because they've got a vest on underneath that. Head shots, head shots.... Kill the sons of bitches."

In 1998 Liddy hosted a fundraiser at his house for John McCain's re-election campaign at which guests could have their pictures taken with McCain and Liddy. Over the years, Liddy, who has referred to McCain as "an old friend," has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns -- including $1,000 in 2008.
Back to top Go down
Morgan Rowan
Admin
Morgan Rowan

Number of posts : 16603
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Many 60's radicals are now mainstream, respected authors, professors, etc. I don't truly think its fair to expect Obama, at the stage in his career the relationship started, to feel a need to vett every public figure he came across for traces of past questionable links to criminal activity. He'd need a full time staff to even begin such an activity. If Obama were at this time suggesting Ayers was going to be a key player in his cabinet or something then I could expect the vetting process to be necessary but it seems unfair to me to criticize Obama for ' palling around ' with college professors and author's who's personal past history he possibly didn't delve into.

Last edited by Morgan Rowan on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://clickchicks.niceboard.com

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:40 pm

I don't care about Liddy, it was just a way of showing that McCain has "interesting" friends as well. We can play tit for tat all day long.

BTW, Aryes wrote in a letter to the editor in the Chicago Tribune, "I condemn all forms of terrorism — individual, group and official". He also condemned the September 11 terrorist attacks in that letter. "Today we are witnessing crimes against humanity on our own shores on an unthinkable scale, and I fear that we may soon see more innocent people in other parts of the world dying in response."

When Ayers was asked in a January 2004 interview, "How do you feel about what you did? Would you do it again under similar circumstances?" He replied: "I've thought about this a lot. Being almost 60, it's impossible to not have lots and lots of regrets about lots and lots of things, but the question of did we do something that was horrendous, awful? ... I don't think so. I think what we did was to respond to a situation that was unconscionable." (It should be noted that no one was injured in the bombings, the bombings did minimal damages, and Aryes was never convicted. This in no way means that I approve of the actions of that time so long ago, just that the act was meant to focus a light on, and put a stop to, the death and distruction playing out in Vietnam.)

And finally, the words by Aryes that were twisted by the writer of the original link.

Quote :
On September 9, 2008, Aryes wrote "The one thing I don't regret is opposing the war in Vietnam with every ounce of my being.... When I say, 'We didn't do enough,' a lot of people rush to think, 'That must mean, "We didn't bomb enough shit."' But that's not the point at all. It's not a tactical statement, it's an obvious political and ethical statement. In this context, 'we' means 'everyone.'

Last edited by spongie on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Morgan Rowan
Admin
Morgan Rowan

Number of posts : 16603
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:51 pm

just curious sponge - that sounded like it was directed at my response. I was agreeing with you I thought. uns
Back to top Go down
https://clickchicks.niceboard.com

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:56 pm

No, Morgan, it was an addendum to the Liddy post above that. I do agree with what you said, very astute. I wish I had said it. ht
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 8:29 pm

.....and Renee and amain, a ht for you as well. This is a difficult time, and even if we don't always agree politically, I still value you as my friends.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colin Powell Endorses Obama   Colin Powell Endorses Obama Empty

Back to top Go down

Colin Powell Endorses Obama
Page 1 of 1