C *A *P *C *H
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C *A *P *C *H

Home of the Click Chicks and Joe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Presidential Debate

Go down 
+2
abasketclayse
Susan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Susan
Admin
Susan

Number of posts : 13631
Registration date : 2007-01-25

Presidential Debate  Empty
PostSubject: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am

Anyone watch? I'm not a political person at all and most of what they talk about goes way over my head, but I watched bits and pieces of it trying to keep myself informed.

I thought it very odd that President Obama made little or no eye contact with Governer Romney when Romney was speaking. His eyes faced downward the whole time. Do you think it was nerves, lack of respect, or is that usually his way?
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

Number of posts : 20381
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am

I watched it all. My take is that not looking at the other person directly is a way to keep your emotions in check. I also read that not agreeing to go "face to face" is a non-verbal way to not let challenger lecture you.

I thought that Romney initially was looking at Obama a little too adoringly!!!!

Kind of funny the things we pick up on. I also thing they had screens or something below the podium that allowed them to take notes and/or receive information from their team.

I think overall Obama is a very approachable man and is very gracious (whether he wants to be or not). Look at the scene after the debate - Obama had only Michelle there but they both spent a few mins addressing/meeting/talking with members of Romney's family - he had a boatload of them there!!!
Back to top Go down
joechgo1

joechgo1

Number of posts : 18485
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I did not watch. Nothing I could see or hear would change my opinion or my vote.

To be perfectly candid, I cannot wait for the election to be over with. The campaigning goes on much too long and all the political ads are sickening. The massive amounts of money spent on campaigning really is unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Agree to all that!!! ^^^^
Back to top Go down
catz-4clay

catz-4clay

Number of posts : 11531
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 pm

I agree to all of that as well.

I watched the entire debate.

It was interesting. I know that many of you don't care for Obama but I felt he was the the most courteous and gracious. And he didn't make nearly as many digs at Romney as Romney did him.

I eill refrain from further comment just because it's too sensitive of a topic. Ans I completely respect everyones views.

I will say that I am in awe of Michelle in her reign as the "First Lady." She's been amazing IMO.
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Yeah, I want to hang out with Michelle!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Susan
Admin
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Ok, I can see that perspective (the not looking thing)

I'm not going to change my mind at this point but I had to peek and see how they were behaving. I hate politics and think they are all crooked. Once again it comes down to the lesser of two evils. Just once, I would like a clear cut "winner." No doubts, no questions, no second guessing. Just having a great person to run this country and get it out of the mess it's in. Hopefully that will happen one day and I will live to see it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm

I haven't watched yet. I recorded it so I could kind of watch over some of it just to see how it all went and the actions of both. I'm not a political person really either, and I've never voted. I won't vote this time either, because I live in Texas, and Texas electoral votes always go to the Republican no matter what. Romney could sit on his butt and not do anything but tittle his thumbs, and the votes for Texas would go to him. Everyone in TX could vote Democrat and still the votes will go to the Republican. I don't know why we all have the right to vote to be honest, because I don't see that each one counts for anything.
Back to top Go down
catz-4clay

catz-4clay

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Susan wrote:
Ok, I can see that perspective (the not looking thing)

I'm not going to change my mind at this point but I had to peek and see how they were behaving. I hate politics and think they are all crooked. Once again it comes down to the lesser of two evils. Just once, I would like a clear cut "winner." No doubts, no questions, no second guessing. Just having a great person to run this country and get it out of the mess it's in. Hopefully that will happen one day and I will live to see it!

I agree completely although I don't necessarily hate politics but don't usually get involved with it all that much.

I really wasn't going to say anything more, but will try to be minimal.

While Romney won the debate for being more direct, didn't come across at detached or nervous, etc. etc. I still don't trust him or believe in his sincerity in promising to promote employment, or his ideas on health care. And now after losing a lot of his popularity after those videos were leaked among other reasons, he's gained a lot since last night.

Romney was aggressive and really put Obama on the defense. And I regret that Obama didn't come back at him in a stronger more direct way for his own stance on those subjects. It really irks me when Obama gets attacked for the things he inherited once taking over the presidency. And I do admit, that as much as I adored Obama in the beginning, I have had some disappointments. And I can't say that I hold him in the pinnacle place I did early on, or as the type of president Susan (and I agree with that) described as hoping could be in office. But, between the two runners, I have far greater confidence in Obama, and still have a LOT of respect for the man. At least I know more what to expect and where he stands. And I have the utmost, highest respect for Michelle. One of the finest First Ladies ever.

Tish, I can understand you not wanting to add your vote if you don't want it to be for Republican given the status of TX. But not only is voting our duty, but a privilege and an honor to say the least. Of course one thing about our freedom in America, is our right to vote or not. It's our individual choice. wink
Back to top Go down
Susan
Admin
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm

I respect your opinion Phyllis. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel the opposite as far as the Obama's are concerned. It's nice that we can all discuss this without drama! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I have been trying to keep up more with politics - but I'm not very good at understanding it! How in the world do they remember all those facts and figures?! I'm amazed and impressed.

Being president is IMO one of the most thankless jobs. The pressure is enormous, the problems virtually insolvable, the danger always present, the lifestyle intense. I give credit to anyone who puts themselves out there.

Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Also wanted to mention that it is interesting because I live sort of in a split house! My husband is not exactly on the same bandwagon as most of the household!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm

Yeah sorry I just don't see the point of voting. I do understand and am grateful for all those who have fought for our rights to vote especially for women, but when your vote doesn't count what's the point. And I'm not real impressed with anyone.
Back to top Go down
joechgo1

joechgo1

Number of posts : 18485
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I have never not voted since I was able to do so. No offense, but it kind of drives me crazy when people don't vote since so many people have fought so hard for that right over the years here in the United States, and recently in other countries.

I'm very much in tune with all that is on the news, including the poltical stuff. I've just reached my saturation level with all of it. Some of the local elections run ads that are repulsive. I'll be so happy when voting day has come and gone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Sorry it drives you crazy that I don't vote, but don't stop loving me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
catz-4clay

catz-4clay

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:10 am

joechgo1 wrote:
I have never not voted since I was able to do so. No offense, but it kind of drives me crazy when people don't vote since so many people have fought so hard for that right over the years here in the United States, and recently in other countries.

I'm very much in tune with all that is on the news, including the poltical stuff. I've just reached my saturation level with all of it. Some of the local elections run ads that are repulsive. I'll be so happy when voting day has come and gone.

Yes indeed!

When you word it that way regarding political stuff, I do get involved with it in that regard. The news, being informed etc. I just don't normally get involved with political discussions because it's a touchy subject just like religion is. I too have always voted since I was old enough.

Joey, did you happen to see Judge Judy on the Jeff Probst show a couple of days ago? Really interesting. I couldn't alert you because I didn't know about it until it was already on in my zone.
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am

How about the VP debate???

I watched it all. Some mixed feelings. I thought Joe was more on task and had more answers. The chuckling got a little out of hand. Liked that it was a bit more of a debate and I think the moderator did a better job. I think both did pretty well. My gut feeling was that Joe was more "himself" - like it or not. Paul Ryan to me seemed to have put a game face on - in other words, I felt he was portraying a role MORE than just being himself. But that's just my amatuer opinion because I don't know too much about him.

It was interesting. FULLY awaiting the next Presidential debate next week (I believe...)
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 am

I think this is a really interesting concept - this reporter watched the Presidential debate last week and now the VP debate with the sound mute - so only drawing conclusions on how the candidates were doing by watching their social/visual cues and reacting as a viewer only looking at their face and body language.

I find it really interesting!!!

http://swampland.time.com/2012/10/12/watching-the-vice-presidential-debate-with-the-sound-off/
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:39 am

The text from the article posted above:

I watched the first presidential debate on mute, and the candidates’ body language was telling, just like the debate experts say it should be. So I decided to not listen to anything the vice presidential candidates said either. Surely the visual cues of two completely different candidates arguing in completely different wardrobes would provide new depths of insight into American politics. Plus, if Paul Ryan decided to roll up his sleeves and just let his biceps do the talking—clearly an ace up his sleeve—I wouldn’t miss a thing.

Pundits were atwitter about potential visual cues on the day of the debate. A CNN interviewee said that Joe Biden needed to appear “aggressive … without seeming overly aggressive.” An ABC news anchor warned that Biden might look “old and tired” next to a younger, fresher face like Ryan’s. A North Virginia image consultant explained how powerful the debaters’ suit colors could be. Navy blue, she told Patch, is the standard for appearing “authoritative, trustworthy and credible.” After a careful study of the color wheel, I concluded that if either candidate came on stage in a yellow-orange suit, that would be a big mistake.

As Biden and Ryan met on stage in Danville, Ky., both men forcefully executed a handshake and shoulder-grab combo. For a moment it seemed like the “Thrill in the ‘Ville” might turn into a real wrestling match. But it was not to be. The foes disengaged and took their seats at the table. Biden wore a blue tie with dark stripes, in Democratic solidarity with Obama. Ryan sported a red tie with blue stripes, scoring bipartisan points. Both men had clearly been briefed on suit colors.

Like Romney did in his first debate, Ryan wore a much larger flag pin on his lapel than his Democratic counterpart. “He may be a fiscal conservative,” the accessory said, “but the flag-pin shop ain’t no place for skimping.”

A table debate might seem less visually interesting than a lectern debate. It’s not. The format forces the seated foes into close-quarters combat. From the outset, both men power-stared and smirked while the other was talking. While Ryan’s glances communicated skepticism, Biden’s vaulted into the realm of wild incredulousness—as if he’d prepared for the debate by arguing with someone who was convinced the world is flat.

As Ryan spoke, Biden shook his head in disbelief. He threw his hands in the air. He (more frequently) tried to interrupt. He peered conspiratorially into the camera, as if to say “Can you believe this guy?” And most of all, he laughed and smiled. He smiled like someone was under the table tickling him and it was all he could do not to fall out of his chair.

Biden’s demeanor wasn’t completely oafish. It conveyed a sense of command. Without knowing what was said, I can say Biden looked like a jerk, but he also looked like a pro. He looked dismissive, but he also looked comfortable. Biden looked old too, as ABC News had feared. His white wisps of hair were clearly receding. Next door, Ryan’s mane was dark and full. But the elder debater didn’t lack for energy and kept up with the boyish Ryan.

Toward the end, the questions and answers seemed to get more serious. Biden’s smiles became infrequent. Moderator Martha Raddatz seemed to be breaking terrible news to the candidates. Only during this straight-faced part did I really start to appreciate how much more entertaining the silent vice presidential debate had been than the silent presidential one. Based on body language alone, Biden’s performance took the cake–if only because it was so hard to look away from him. But both candidates seemed deeply engaged, and so was I.

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2012/10/12/watching-the-vice-presidential-debate-with-the-sound-off/#ixzz296FBJfom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:47 am

will read when I have more time..

Ryan just creeps me out.. He just comes off sleazy to me.
Back to top Go down
amainachen

amainachen

Number of posts : 2074

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:09 pm

All debates over and romney has shown himself to be a very presidential candidate. He certainly knows the foreign policy and i feel certain he will do much more for our economy than obama has done. His policies have been a disaster. Romney did what he had to do in first debate and to have a president keeping his head down most of the time was scary. Obama was very disrespectful last night but romney kept it together looking presidential and refused to get into a mud slinging contest. I was disappointed that rombey didnt nail obama on benghazi but im not a candidate. Obama in my opinion is not to be trusted. His wife makes me uneasy. I pray romney wins in nov and im not ashamed to say it. I fear for this country, my grandson if obama is left in office. Go to youtube and type in alexdria pelosi (yes nancys daughter) and watch all the people talk of obama pays me so i dont have to work, 1 guyhas 5 children to 4 women. She asjs if he pays for them. No obama take care of them. Its mind blowing the mentality out there. The entitlement society has to stoo, therefore we need someone who can make jobs and romney has done that. He turned around the olympics so i feel he can do it and i want to give someone else a chance
Back to top Go down
Susan
Admin
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm ready and excited to cast my vote!!
Back to top Go down
coocooitstrue

coocooitstrue

Number of posts : 2211
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:03 pm

imo, Romney won Round 1, Rounds 2/3 to Obama on the debate stage. i assume the debates may only affect those voters
who are still undecided?
was it just me, or did anyone else get the feeling that Obama was partly controlling the debate last night. when he was on
split screen, he was doing hand motions to the Moderator, and seconds afterward there'd be an interrupt on Romney. Obama also
dominated the debate time. coincidence? i don't think so. i thought Romney erred by being too polite and as a result, Obama
appeared stronger in Round 3. i didn't like the way Obama cut Romney off while speaking. he did it several times. does anyone
think that Obama was too aggressive, or do they look for that quality in their Commander in Chief? i am looking for someone who
stands by his convictions and follows thru with them, and would hope that Romney can and does, if elected.

because of entitlements and other things, i can't vote for Obama, but at this point in my life, i find it hard to trust anyone
running for public office to deliver on any promises. i classify myself as a Leaning Right Independent. and i will vote. no matter
what state you reside in, ppl need to embrace the opportunity to do so. (still love you, Tish Presidential Debate  Emrose)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Well to be honest, I'm not a big fan of Obama, so not sure I'd vote for him if I could. I can't stand Romney so certainly wouldn't vote for him. So really if I could vote there isn't anyone I'm interested in voting for.

I still love you all to Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Presidential Debate    Presidential Debate  Empty

Back to top Go down

Presidential Debate
Page 1 of 1