C *A *P *C *H
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C *A *P *C *H

Home of the Click Chicks and Joe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

embryo implanted in "wrong" woman

Go down 
+2
abasketclayse
thegiftsthesame
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thegiftsthesame

Number of posts : 1544
Registration date : 2008-12-10

embryo implanted in "wrong" woman Empty
PostSubject: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 3:15 pm

it was the last viable embryo this couple had...
I don't know the details as to why..
but it was implanted in another woman
and, according to this article,
she aborted it, for that reason...

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jun/09061509.html

now, we're not talking about
a 13 year old who had been raped
or a fetus with two heads
or any of the reasons, people might feel that
abortion is a valid response

I just can't stand the idea that she could do that..
it wasn't 'her baby' to decide about.... in my opinion

it's no win.... now this couple AND the 'other woman'
have lost something...
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

Number of posts : 20381
Registration date : 2007-01-26

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Sad. Sad
Back to top Go down
Susan
Admin
Susan

Number of posts : 13631
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 3:27 pm

That is very sad. No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 pm

It is sad...for everyone concerned, including the woman who was implanted with the other couple’s embryo. I wish her heart had gone out to the couple so that she would have carried the baby to term and turned it over to them, but I can’t put myself in her shoes and know why she decided on the abortion. Would the nine months of carrying the child for the other couple have significantly delayed her own needs and desires to start a family? Was she physically and emotionally able to carry the child and then give it up? And if she opted to keep the baby as her own, wouldn’t she be accused of being selfish and that she should have given the child to the couple? Or if she kept the child, could she deal with the legal fight that would undoubtedly ensue or the actual and constant presence of this couple, who she did not know. There are health risks with any pregnancy and maybe she was high risk to begin with Prior to abortion being legalized, the woman would have been forced to complete the pregnancy which would have done away with any choice in the matter. In a way, I can see that as being easier on her....she would have not had to make such a decision if the decision had been predetermined. But something about that also doesn’t sit right . . . to force a woman to carry a child that she knows is not hers. What would I have done? What would you have done? It’s an easy answer if you are against abortion, in general. But in this sad case, it really comes down to a person making a decision based on her own body. It may not be the most compassionate decision. It may even be considered cruel and unfeeling. But it was a decision that she had to make based on circumstances that were not of her choice or making. And it was a decision that was not against the law. We don’t know all the why’s and wherefore’s but we can’t just assume there weren’t issues that weighed heavily in her decision. Or that she made the decision without a whole lot of consideration.

Sad for the baby, sad for the couple and sad for the woman who had the abortion. My heart goes out to all of them.
Back to top Go down
abasketcase
Admin

Number of posts : 6723
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Not all fertilized eggs become babies. Not all couples get to raise their biological children. There is no "right" of the embryo's parents that supersedes the right of the pregnant woman to not be forced to carry some other woman's child.

Here you have a couple had had difficulty becoming pregnant. They had one child, and wanted a biological sibling for him. It would not be a tragedy if the child was an only child, or if his parents adopted.

There is nothing to guarantee that if the embryo was implanted in the biological mom, that it would "take" and she would give birth. There is also nothing to guarantee that the woman wrongly implanted would carry the child to term.

But it unfair to expect the nonbiological mother to carry the child to term, with all the inherent risks and complications, because the doctor made this huge mistake!

Put the blame where it deserves, on the shoulders the doctor that screwed up!

The person who made the mistake was the person who placed the fertilized egg into the wrong woman. It is not the "job" or responsibility of the wrongly impregnated woman to "do the right thing" (in the eyes of the biological couple....and many on this board) and carry the pregnancy to term.

She (the fertilized woman) was at the fertility clinic, and one could assume that she went through time, effect and money to become pregnant with her own biological child. To expect her to be an unwilling surrogate for the couple, when she went to this effort to have her own biological child, is asking way too much for the unwitting surrogate. There is no reason NOT to assume that had she carried this child to term, she might not be able to have her own child!

Let's look at this another way:

If you found out that you were an exact match for someone you didn't know, who needed a kidney, would you be considered selfish if you chose to not donate?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Good analogy, happyjoy.

When I suggested that I wished her heart had gone out to the couple and she had carried the baby to term, I was wrongly stating what I think I would do in the situation....but I am not this woman and all of the points you make, happyjoy, are not only valid but another indicator of how you are able to cut to the chase with some hard truths.
Back to top Go down
abasketcase
Admin

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks, pinky. Reading more carefully through the article, the aganda of the chief spokesman was that children only be conceived through "the marriage bed." In other words, he is against invitro fertilization. His thoughts are that if you can't conceive through normal huband/wife relations, you shouldn't have (biololgical) children.

Accordingly, had there not been invitro fertilization, there would not have been an embryo to be mistakenly implanted in the wrong mother.

Interesting....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Well said both Happyjoy and Pinky.

All of us could say that we would have carried the baby to term, and had it and then handed it over to the other couple if it had been us, but one truly doesn't know what we would do in her shoes.

What if carrying that baby to term for the other couple would have cost the woman carrying the baby her life? Is it right to ask her to give up her life to give a couple she probably doesn't know a child?

And if it were me in the situation I'm in, I'd probably carry the baby to term, and then want to keep and raise it as my own. If a woman becomes pregnant in that kind of situation, who has the most rights to the child, the biological parents or the one who carried and gave birth to it.

It's just a sad situation all the way around, and the doctor is certainly more to blame.
Back to top Go down
catz-4clay

catz-4clay

Number of posts : 11531
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 9:04 pm

How very sad for all concerned!

Pinky and Happy Joy, I don't recall talking to you before but welcome to the board! You both have had some interesting things to say in various threads as I've recently observed. I'm still way behind, and probably won't catch up. I just wanted to let you know that it's always nice to have new members. You both have fit right in. ht ht
Back to top Go down
Morgan Rowan
Admin
Morgan Rowan

Number of posts : 16603
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Just one more bump in the road of planned reproduction from a society who seems to have lost their reverance for human life. Yes, that's just my personal opinion and I wouldn't force it on anyone else but as a society we need to get a grip on what we support as ethical because cloning isn't far off and we are already entering the era of designer babies. I have to wonder what God feels about humans taking on these kinds of decisions of who should have children and what children they should have. It was once only in His capable hands. He would not have made such a mistake.
Back to top Go down
https://clickchicks.niceboard.com
abasketcase
Admin

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks catz! We are happy to be here!ht
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:26 am

happyjoy wrote:
Thanks catz! We are happy to be here!ht

Yep! Thanks for the warm welcome! ht
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: embryo implanted in "wrong" woman   embryo implanted in "wrong" woman Empty

Back to top Go down

embryo implanted in "wrong" woman
Page 1 of 1