C *A *P *C *H
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C *A *P *C *H

Home of the Click Chicks and Joe

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Good News Only Election Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

Number of posts : 20381
Registration date : 2007-01-26

A Good News Only Election Thread Empty
PostSubject: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 11:26 am

Let's try to focus and celebrate our right to vote today!!

I'm invited you to share any personal "feel good" stories you experience or any quotes-stories you see in print.

I'll start with something I saw on another board (not Clay related) I frequent:

They were showing the lines of voters wrapped around the block at one voting place in NYC. The comment was something to the effect that the outcome in NY is a foregone conclusion, yet people were still standing in lines to exercise their right to vote. It is truly amazing.
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Another personal story:

My son's high school is a voting place. Today outside of the gym, students who participate in the Special Olympics in our area are having a bake sale to raise funds for their participation in next year's Olympics. They are all dressed in red, white and blue. It was great to see many voters stopping and chatting with the kids and buying baked goods to support their dreams! (if you hurry, you can purchase my famous mini-pumpkin bread loaves!!!!)
Back to top Go down
Susan
Admin
Susan

Number of posts : 13631
Registration date : 2007-01-25

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 am

It feels very liberating to press that button. It kinda makes you feel important and I always get goosebumps when I step into that booth thu Whatever the outcome, I know I did my duty and voted for who I believe is the best man for the job.
Back to top Go down
coocooitstrue

coocooitstrue

Number of posts : 2211
Registration date : 2007-01-23

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:51 pm

i have something fun to share:

this adorable 4-yr-old encourages you to VOTE!

YouTube - Vote True 2008
Back to top Go down
coocooitstrue

coocooitstrue

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:52 pm

hmm..link didn't highlight. trying again...

YouTube - Vote True 2008
Back to top Go down
coocooitstrue

coocooitstrue

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 pm

darn. sorry for no direct hook up on the link. if you're curious about it, maybe you can just copy/paste it in the UTube search bar..??
Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Back to top Go down
abasketclayse
Admin
abasketclayse

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

My husband called me from the poll place he is working, obviously emotional (he can be a big baby wink ). He said, "say what you want about Obama (and he himself has not been an Obama fan) but literally we have had people walk in here today with threads of shoes and no shoes at all, but with a smile on their face saying they don't have much, but they have the right to vote and they are going to be sure to take the time to vote for some hope, for "Mr. Obama".

He said, no doubt, he is seeing democracy at work today. love
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 pm

abasketclayse wrote:
Another personal story:

My son's high school is a voting place. Today outside of the gym, students who participate in the Special Olympics in our area are having a bake sale to raise funds for their participation in next year's Olympics. They are all dressed in red, white and blue. It was great to see many voters stopping and chatting with the kids and buying baked goods to support their dreams! (if you hurry, you can purchase my famous mini-pumpkin bread loaves!!!!)

That's a great story Basket. It would be wonderful to see things like that at all polling stations across the country. Very creative of them to use this special day to get a little support for such a worthy cause.

There are probably some that may not have the cash on them, or just plain can't afford to buy their goods, but to just stop and tell these kids just how special they are is a great thing, that alone can be the biggest gift of all.

It also reminds people that there worthy causes such as the Special Olympics out there and need our support.

I don't want to see the Red Cross and such...But small causes that don't get much recognition most of the time.

Thanks for sharing that with us, it makes me feel warm inside.
Back to top Go down
joechgo1

joechgo1

Number of posts : 18485
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 6:49 pm

I stuck my "I Voted" sticker on my white t-shirt. So, I decided! That is good news for me since I had such a hard time. Very Happy

Oh, and I look cute today.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 7:18 pm

neworleans_lady wrote:
It feels very liberating to press that button. It kinda makes you feel important and I always get goosebumps when I step into that booth thu Whatever the outcome, I know I did my duty and voted for who I believe is the best man for the job.

Sniff, Sniff, We don't get a button to push or a booth.

One of the workers cleared off a space for me on a counter and if I wanted privacy I was out of luck....As were a lot of other people. But we don't care here. No one complains. The staffer said "well, you will have as much privacy here as the other's sitting on chairs doing it on their laps...It was so funny. It's always like that. Usually Pete and I share a spot if we manage to get to have one of those cardboard things. It makes room for other people. I missed Pete today, he is still in the hospital.

It's always been a great place to vote. Just so easy going and the person usually helps the worker find their name on the list (all the poll workers here are elderly) Sweet people.
Back to top Go down
joechgo11

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 7:46 pm

joechgo1 wrote:
I stuck my "I Voted" sticker on my white t-shirt. So, I decided! That is good news for me since I had such a hard time. Very Happy

Oh, and I look cute today.

Very Happy

Of that, my dear, I have no doubt. Much love dear Joe!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Good News Only Election Thread   A Good News Only Election Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

A Good News Only Election Thread
Page 1 of 1